Thursday, November 17, 2011

Welcome to the Family!



We welcomed Ryan to our family at 2:56 am on November 11th! (exactly 100 years after my Grandma Ethel Toth's birth!) Here's the story of how it all unfolded - and photos of course since that is what everyone really wants to see : >

Wednesday, November 9th: As I had mentioned, I had my amnio on the morning of the 9th. While I know needles fairly well, I have to admit that I was nervous about the procedure because I had heard so many negative stories about amnios. My mom went with me for support, but it actually wasn't that bad. Aside from feeling the pinch as the needle entered, I didn't feel anything at all. Unfortunately, just as the doctor was starting the test, Ryan started to move so he had to stop and wait for him to calm down again. All this really meant was that I had to withstand the needle's pinch twice. When the test was over, we had to wait about 6 hours for the official results, but the doctor said that he could tell by the color of the fluid that "it would be a go." So I headed to work, eagerly awaiting the results. By 2pm we knew that I would be induced by weeks end; Ryan's lungs were fully developed!

Thursday, November 10th: My doctor agreed to let me go to work for one more day so I could wrap things up and let my students know that it would be my last day until February. However, instead of being induced on Friday, she wanted me to go in for 6pm that night to start the process with Cervidil. As excited as I was, I was also so nervous. With Colten, my water broke at home so I didn't have time to think about being nervous. This time it felt weird to head to the hospital without being in labor; now I had all the time in the world to think about what was coming. Plus I was not looking forward to the induction process; I had heard so many stories about women in labor for days because of the induction and I was not looking forward to it. And I was really upset about leaving Colten overnight. Believe it or not, I had never been away from Colten overnight. Granted he was staying with my parents so I knew he'd be fine; it was more about me missing him. In fact, I cried on my way to the hospital after leaving him. But there was no turning back now; we were on our way to welcoming Ryan into our world.

7:15 pm - Cervidil was in. The nurse told me to relax, watch tv, read magazines, etc. and that in the morning I could shower and then we would start pitocin to get labor started. Needless to say, that is not how things unfolded... Within two hours, I was feeling minor contractions, but the nurse said that cramping was normal so I tried my best to ignore it. However, the "cramping" seemed to intensify more and more, but when I informed the nurse, she still didn't seem that concerned. She checked me and said that I was maybe 2 centimeters and mostly soft, and she called my doctor who said I could have some medicine for pain. I might as well not have had any because it brought no relief.

Friday, November 11th: By now, it was after midnight. I headed to the bathroom, still trying to relax and to convince myself that I was not having contractions since neither the nurse or doctor seemed to believe that I was. When I came out, the nurse had reviewed my printouts and finally confirmed what I had been telling everyone - that I was having serious (sometimes 3 mintues in length) contractions every 2-7 minutes apart. She decided to check me again; this time I was 5 centimeters and ready to which she responded, "I don't know what you did in that bathroom but we have to get you the epidural now and I'll call the doctor!" I received my epidural around 2:30 am, but it brought no relief considering I was holding Ryan in my arms less than 30 mintues later. I felt EVERYTHING! The only positive was that I only had to push four times and Ryan was out. In fact, Ryan's head was out before the doctor arrived so the nurse told me to stop pushing and wait - are you kidding me! So I tried my best and the doctor walked in just in time to pull Ryan the rest of the way out without even dressing; she delivered Ryan in her regular clothes. Needless to say, no one was expecting my labor to progress so rapidly, but by 3am I was holding my newest son, weighing in at 7lbs. 3oz and measuring 20 inches long. Since he was quite a bit smaller than Colten, I luckily did not need any stiches and have had a much smoother recovery.

Later that day and beyond: Colten came to meet his new little brother! He was so excited to hold him, and we captured such a precious memory on video. After Colten climbed up into my bed to hold Ryan, he rested his head on Ryan's and gently rubbed his arm with his hand. Seeing the two interact for the first time brought tears to my eyes. Colten was naturally so sweet to Ryan from the start. I'm sure that he will have his jealous moments, but after a week, he is still so in love with Ryan, always wanting to see and hold him, telling him good morning and good night, and coming to get me if Ryan is crying. I could not have asked for a better transition for all of us. I wanted to get life back to normal for Colten so we headed home on Saturday. So far so good. Ryan is a much easier baby than Colten, who was colicky. Ryan eats well and sleeps so much; unfortunately, he seems to have his days and nights mixed up. He will sleep for long stretches during the day and then in brief spurts during the night. So I guess that is my only complaint of sorts but he can't be perfect, right?! Who am I kidding, of course I think he is perfect!

So here's what you all have been waiting for - pictures!!!!


More to come!!!

6 comments:

  1. beautiful family Cindy!! Enjoy the love and cuddles from your newest little man- he is so cute:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also- I LOVE your sweatshirts- what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! You guys are such a cute family. Hope Ryan gets his days and nights figured out soon. And I agree with Megs--the shirts were such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY!!! I've been thinking about you all week, and now catching up on blogs, here he is!! Beautiful, absolutely beautiful family:) I loved reading your birth story, and wow, does Colten look huge compared to Ryan!! I had only left E once overnight before having Jacob, and that night having him was the first time both of us had been away from her together. It was nerve wracking! I'm glad you guys are having a good transition so far. Lots of prayers for you guys and a BIG Happy Thanksgiving to the four of you! Miss you!
    Love,
    C:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I'm so happy for you! I also loved your birth story. Enjoy the holidays with your boys! I hope Ryan lets you get some sleep. Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love little Ryan! Can't wait to meet him and see you guys! I'm with Meghan, love the shirt idea:) Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete