Friday, August 7, 2009

Getting the Itch?

With Christine's new arrival (congrats to you by the way!), my cousin Michele's baby shower this past week, and Krissy's shower coming up in a few weeks, I am feeling the itch for another baby : > I know what you are probably thinking - 'you have a baby.' I know, I know, and don't worry I would not be able to handle another right now so Tom and I are sticking to the plan and will start trying again next summer. Until then, let me reminisce. After reading Christine's labor stories, I feel compelled to share mine, especially since I wasn't blogging at the time. So if you are interested or curious, read on. . .

Even though I wasn't due until March 31st, I had a feeling that I would deliver early and even predicted that it would be the 17th. To my surprise, it was even sooner! I prayed and prayed not to have Colten on March 13th since it was a Friday - a bit superstitious I know but I couldn't help it. Colten held off to make me happy but barely. The night of the 13th, I was up every hour going to the bathroom (not much of a change from my usual 2 hour potty call but still different). Then at 4:12 am on the 14th (actually 30 minutes earlier since my clock is fast), I was awakened by a popping feeling down below - something different than a kick. Thinking of Cara's story, I jumped up and headed for the bathroom, wondering if my water was breaking. After going to the bathroom, I figured that everything was still in tact, that is until I was washing my hands and felt something wet running down my leg. "Had I not finished peeing?" I tried again and then headed back to bed. Within a few minutes, I could feel wetness again and knew then that it was not pee, but so far I hadn't felt any contractions so I put on a pad and waited. Tom had fallen asleep on the basement coach so I yelled down to him. At this point I still wasn't sure if this "was it" but I wanted Tom close. Tom came flying up the stairs and was ready to leave before I was even sure if I was in labor, but by this time, I started having contractions too ranging anywhere from 5-7 minutes apart. Still, I didn't want to be the one to go to the hospital only to return home babyless. So I headed for the shower, unaware of what Tom was doing until he rushed into the bathroom announcing, "I called your parents and the car is running so we are ready to go!" to which I promptly replied "What!? Go shut the car off; I'm still in the shower and need to call the doctor."
By the time I was done showering, I was pretty sure this "was it" so I called Dr. Canby and she told me to eat something light and then head to the hospital. So I had one last PB & J sandwich, we finished packing the bag, we got Lady ready and headed to my mom and dad's to drop her off before driving to Northside Hospital. By this time, my contractions were about 3 minutes apart and were getting much more intense. After running a few red lights (not my idea), we were there, probably around 6am.
At first the nurses were skeptical and thought I was only having Braxton Hicks contractions (believe me, I knew the difference and these were nothing like those). But they put me in a room so a doctor could check me and with that, my water completely broke - what a strange feeling - and the doctor reported that I was already 4cm. This was it!
I soon found myself in a labor and delivery room hooked up to all the monitors. My contractions intensified so quickly and were coming so rapidly; I wanted my epidural now! But I had to wait for my blood work and for one bag of antibiotics to get though my IV. So many women fear the epidural, but I welcomed it and don't remember it hurting a bit. The hardest part was staying still while they inserted it even though I was having major contractions. But I was more than pleased with the result; I could still feel every contraction, but now they were bearable. The only drawback - labor slowed quite a bit. I was 6cm when I received the epidural but then I had to get Pitocin to help labor progress again. So with the epidural the whole process probably took a bit longer, but I'd never change it. Instead of suffering in unbearable pain, I chatted with Tom, his dad, and my parents while trying out lots of different labor positions.
Around 1:45 I started feeling really nauseous and wondered if my blood sugar was low. When I asked the nurse, she said that some women feel that way when they are ready to push and sure enough, I was ready to go!
With Tom holding one leg and a nurse the other, I began pushing at about 2pm and heard "It's a boy!" at 2:20pm! Colten arrived and I was now a mom, officially. I always thought that it was gross to hold a baby after it first comes out, but I really changed my mind quickly when they placed Colten on my chest. I only held him for a moment before they whisked him off to clean him up and take his measurements but I loved every second and already couldn't wait to have him back in my arms. And that's where he was a few moments later so we could begin our bonding by nursing. Our lives changed in that instant, and I have never felt more complete. Everyone says it, but it is so true: there is no love like the love you have for your child. I love you so much, Colten. You truly are my world.
In almost 5 months, Colten has grown in so many ways, but here are a few early photos.
Literally, right after birth - being weighed.

The first time Tom held Colten.One of my favorite early photos.

5 comments:

  1. I should say you are feeling the itch with all that baby commotion around you!! I hope I don't get it, because it will make me sad knowing I can't have anymore:(

    I live vicariously through everyone's labor stories...so I'm glad you posted it:)!! I feel a little sad that I don't have my own...I doubt anyone cares about my c-section stories!

    Keep pics of the little cutie coming-he's getting so big!! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW...you commented about Colten having that same baseball onsie-well we lucked out because we got him a newborn one to wear home (which he obviously couldn't by the time he came home-luckily we took it to the hospital for him to wear!), plus Beth and Dave got us the 3 month size-which he's still wearing, and then Chad and Jamie got us the 6 month size!!! I think it was a popular outfit:) But the luck was that of all the 3 he got-none were the same size:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great birth story!! It's one story you will remember detail by detail, forever!

    Ha if I even get a hint of an itch I am sending it to you!:) Especially since Alvin sees Dr. Snippy on 9/15 - yeah, I am counting down!! Yay for baby making for you guys, now or in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your birth story! I enjoy birth stories, but at the same time makes me question whether or not I want to go through labor. =) I also love how you first drop Lady off with your parents. Lucky dog. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part was how Tom was all ready to go with the car on....:) SO cute:)
    Thank you for posting your story! I have been curious about it ever since you had Colten and he was a few weeks early- I just wanted to hear all about it:) I cannot imagine having an epidural but still being able to feel everything a little too- it's so funny how everyone has such different experiences. Congratulations, Mommy!

    Enjoy your time with Colten esp. before you go back to school- Matt and I say every few weeks how "this" is our "most favorite age"- seriously- I feel like it just keeps getting better, no matter if the kids are a week old, 16 months old, or nearly 2 and a half- every day, they all get more personality and have more love to show you. Have fun with him! I hope to see you SOON!
    Love,
    C:)

    ReplyDelete