Friday, September 11, 2009

More Firsts and More Stress

Colten is soon to be 6 months old already and I can hardly believe it. He changes so much everyday and seems to be hitting firsts all the time. I can't wait for his doctor's appointment on the 15th so I can find out just how much he weighs and how long he is. He has been wearing 12 month clothes for some time now, mostly because of his length. We had some cool nights in the 40's a few weeks ago and I quickly realized that I did not have any sleepers for him; he had been sleeping in onesies since it has been warm. So off to the store I went, purchasing 2 sleepers from Babys R Us and 3 from Children's Place - all 12 months. Luckily I had Colten try them on before washing them because he could not straighten his legs in any of them...Back to the store I went to exchange them for 18 months...My sweet baby boy is growing up too quickly. Here are some pictures highlighting Colten's new pursuits : >
"Forget crawling, I'm ready to stand!"
Colten has really been trying to stand. He especially likes to try and pull himself up on my mom's couches (they are lower than mine so it's easier for him).

"Now I can sit-up unassisted!"

My first ride in a buggy at Target! I'm a big boy now!


My heart melts when Colten reaches out for me like this!

We went to visit Aunt Tunny, Karol and Jerry. Colten loved Aunt Tunny and let her hold him almost the whole time!


We spent Sunday celebrating Labor Day at Aunt Amanda and Uncle Marc's.
Colten attended his first Canfield Fair on Saturday, September 5th. Unfortunately he cried almost the entire time from being overly tired. I had hoped that he would enjoy riding in his stroller and looking at all of the activity and animals, but he just cried, refusing to sleep. So to keep him happy, Tom and I took turns carrying him around the fair and pushing the stroller with our stuff in it. Maybe next year he'll as excited about the fair as we are : >

Colten in his new blow-up duck tub. Since he sits up more now, I wanted him to have something more cushiony around him. He is even starting to splash and play in the water!

Now that I'm done bragging about my son : > I'll move on to some news about me...

I'm still having some difficulty adjusting to being back in school. I don't have a difficult time dropping Colten off in the morning anymore, and I am enjoying being back in the classroom, but I cannot seem to find a balance once I come home at night. After waking up at 4:40am, I don't stop until close to 9pm and I have yet to grade any papers this year. Once those start rolling in, I can only imagine my schedule. I don't want to seem like a complainer, but I honestly do not know how other women balance this and I am so frustrated with myself for not being able to find a comfortable routine. Colten did sleep through the night for the first time on Wednesday night, but that was after two nights of having me up since 3am and 1:30am. Needless to say, I am exhausted...To make matters even worse, my diabetes has been more out of control as well with readings ranging from 114-134. I know that those numbers are not terribly bad, but they are for me and I have been having a really hard time dealing with it. In fact, it feels like I am going through everything all over again. I work so hard at keeping my numbers under control with my diet and I exercise everyday, and I mean everyday no matter how exhausted I am. When I was seeing results, it was somewhat easy to accept my lifestyle, but now not so much. Instead I find myself battling my body once again only this time I am losing...I want more than anything to control this disease on my own, but I am afraid I might not be able to this time and that scares me. Why can't I just live normally, even for a day? Why can't I order a pizza and enjoy it with Tom while we watch a ND or Browns game? Why can't I skip a day of exercising? Why can't I enjoy a piece of bread or a side of pasta? For some reason, God has given me this challenge. For the first time in a while, I wonder if I am up for it...
Through all of this Tom has been my rock and my parents angels on earth. I cannot thank any of them enough for their support and help.


"As with so many things in life, success depends upon building a system, remaining flexible, using a bit of imagination, and keeping your sense of humor intact" - editor of Real Simple

6 comments:

  1. First off, Cindy, I love you and I must be luck since I talked to you and then Colten slept through the night:)! I also think that he is starting to look more like YOU as he gets older!! I got soooo excited about the duckie tub when i saw that picture-Avery had one of those and we saved it for Spencer, they are the best (and so cheap too!).

    I always think of the Footprints in the Sand poem when I feel like you do, being so overwhelmed (which is often lately). Artie and I had to constantly remind ourselves (during Spencer's ordeal) that He never gives you more than you can handle. Anyone who knows you at all knows how amazing you are at finding resolve to anything and I know you can do it...it's going to maybe take awhile for you to find the right balance but I just have all the faith that you can! I'm always here for you:) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep hanging in there Cindy- as Colten gets older he will start sleeping through the night.... and you will find with time he will be in a better routine- one that you will find manageable and fit more into your work schedule!
    Hang in there!
    I applaud you for continuing to take yourself, and take those sugar numbers as a reminder- that you need to!
    Colten is such a cutie- I can see why he melts your heart....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop.
    Breathe.
    Again.
    This is why we need Molnar in lunch. To add some laughter! Carlo and I can get boring:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colten is adorable and I agree with Steph, he is starting to look a lot like you. Hang in there. Adjustment periods are never easy. Things will get easier and you will find a balance.

    Im sorry your diabetes is adding more stress to your life. It sounds like you are doing a great job. Not many people are able to be as disciplined as you. You should really be proud of yourself.

    Hang in there...you are doing a great job. Just look at how happy Colten is in those pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 18 month clothes!?!?! Haha- I am beginning to see what raising a little boy is like- they are always eating and always growing out of clothes;)
    Cindy, I am praying for you! I am a huge creature of routine (although I never seem to get into one long enough before everything changes again!) and when I don't have one, I feel so out of control and lost. You are doing an incredible job raising Colten, being a wife, daughter, and teacher- I have no doubt you are amazing everyone around you with all you have on your plate and all you are able to achieve.
    Just let it take time....at least you must be in fabulous shape with your work out schedule! ;)
    I miss you!
    Love,
    C:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy,
    You are in my prayers babe. God DOES give us more than we can handle. In these cases, he wants us to give it back to Him. He wants us to Trust in Him and know that through your relationship with Him you can get through anything.
    God Bless you. You are doing a terrific job... just give yourself more time to adjust. And as always, your friends and family are here for you :)
    ~Janelle

    ReplyDelete