Thursday, July 2, 2009

Battles Lost, Battles Won

The Belschner Family sent Colten this Curious George onesie. Doesn't he look so cute with his stuffed animal : >


First I have to thank Christine for helping me change the background of my blog - you're the best! And now on to Colten. . .

On June 30th my sweet baby boy rolled over for the first time! He had been trying to roll over for a few weeks, and he finally did it!!! We were playing on the floor with his keys and rattle and before I even knew what was happening, he was on his belly. I am so happy that Tom was in the living room with us, too! I know that when I go back to school, I will miss so many of his firsts so I am thrilled that we were both there to witness this milestone, however small (to us it's huge : > ).

For those of you who read my blog on a fairly regular basis, you'll remember that I have been trying to get Colten to sleep in his crib, but I haven't been having much luck. I mentioned that the vacuum worked so we purchased an mp3 of a vacuum. Well Master Colten can tell the difference and the CD did nothing more than give me (and probably him) a headache. So then we thought we would try to put a massager under his mattress; we hoped he would like the humming and the vibrating, and it worked - to a degree. By this I mean that we could eventually calm him down in the crib if we rubbed his belly for 30-60 minutes. Then he would sleep for 20-40 minutes. I'm not sure if this is a success, but we took it as one. However, we were burning up batteries so quickly. . . so I invested in an electric massager that we could plug in. But once again Sir Colten decided that he had had enough of this tactic too. It never worked again. Regardless, I am determined to break him of his habit of sleeping on me because school is just around the corner. So I vowed to not let him nap on me, and insisted that he sleep in his crib. . . We are making progress (I think). He still only naps for 20-40 minutes during the day so if anyone has any wisdom about getting him to sleep longer and helping him fall back to sleep on his own once he wakes up, PLEASE SHARE! Last night we had a bit of a breakthrough; he stayed in his crib from 8pm-12:30am. This sounds fabulous and is on some levels but I got no sleep during that time because about every 40 minutes he woke up and needed his pacifier again. So as happy as I was that he was in the crib, I want sleep too : > Today, his naps have not been any longer but he has gone to sleep much more easily than ever before. He's either getting used to the crib or he is so tired from lack of sleep that he can't help it : > Either way, he is in his crib! I never thought that this would be one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I always assumed that babies just naturally slept in their cribs - I guess not.

Sorry if this has bored you, but it's important stuff in the McCutcheon household : >


Colten loves to play in this jumperoo! Thanks Candice!

4 comments:

  1. Cute background! ;)
    Elizabeth LOVES Curious George- she was really excited to see that Colten has one of his very own! Sooo cute. Congratulations on rolling over! That is a huge milestone- better watch out before he is tearing your entire house apart;)

    And for the sleep (or lack of) thing- I could go on and on and on about our experiences with trying to get E. to sleep on her own. I will have to write you an e-mail sometime this weekend because I don't think everyone will want to read all of it on your blog;) Good luck and keep trying! I'll get back to you on it soon, I promise:)
    Love,
    C:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a cutie!!!! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, Cindy, Colten is amazingly adorable!! Love him in the curious george onsie-orange is a great color on him:) I'm glad to hear that you're making some progress with him in his bed! Talk to you soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Cindy
    Your little man is ADORABLE:)
    I just wanted to give some advice on the crib.... I had to head back to work, so it was a big deal for us as well, plus I like my alone time at night Ben...
    so... Luke I let cry it out- at 5 months old... he is now a thumb sucker- it took 2 nights- he cried for 1 1/2 hours each night- and that was it. It is a very HARD tatic.
    Drew I took a gentler approach... around 4-5 months I would let him cry it out, but...
    first night- 5 minutes then go in
    2nd night- 10 minutes then go in
    3rd night- 15 minutes then go in
    4th night- 20 minutes then go in
    Drew never went past that.
    Thank goodness, and I always made sure when I put them to bed it was with them awake- the sound of ocean waves in the background, and a fan...
    Sounds like you all definitely are trying great ideas.
    Luke had colic too, so I completely sympathize.
    Hang in there!!:)
    -Meghan Anderson

    ReplyDelete